Thursday, March 7, 2013

On little mamas

This morning, an eight-months-pregnant student showed me the 4D ultrasound pictures of her son, absolutely ecstatic. And this week, I read one of the best pieces of student writing I've ever encountered, by a teen mom. She said it was "the first story she'd ever completed," In a zombie apocalypse tale to rival Carrie Ryan, one line especially stood out: "The only joy she found was in her child."

I mention this because reading about this NYC ad campaign all week has made me livid. (I will not post a picture, I don't want to have to look at those shaming images ever again.)

These teen mothers need all our help and support. I had a "family library" at my old school, full of board and picture books. I would talk to pregnant teens and those with children about talking to their babies, developing their vocabularies to get them ready for school. And I have seen many teen parents with completely supportive families and well-adjusted children. One mistake does not HAVE to ruin their lives. And kindness, asking about the baby and how they themselves are doing, does not equal endorsement of premarital sex. It is the same concern I try to show all my students.



1 comment:

  1. Well done and well said. Those young mamas need every encouragement this world has to offer.

    ReplyDelete