Friday, August 29, 2014

Books I Wish I Own But I Don’t

There’s a meme going around the biblioblogosphere...books you don’t own, but want. My contribution:

Books I Can't Afford:

Women are Beautiful (1975) by Garry Winogrand
I kept this book checked out for months from my college art library. So ‘70s, street style before it was a thing. Gorgeous, and prohibitively expensive.

The Girl From the Candle-Lit Bath (1978) by Dodie Smith
My public library had a horrifically ugly large print copy, but it disappeared, probably weeded. I haven’t seen a decent copy for an affordable price. I’m waiting on a re-issue. 

Exactitudes (2002) by Arie Versluis and Ellie Uyttenbroek
This is described as a typology of clothing presentation, as collected over time by a duo of Dutch photographers. Yes, I know these photos (and more) are available online, but something about having the physical book appeals. 

Zelda: An Illustrated Life: The Private World of Zelda Fitzgerald (1996) by Zelda Fitzgerald and Eleanor Anne Lanaham
I’ve never managed to get my hands on this one, with lots of her art, by Scott and Zelda’s granddaughter.

Books Where I Own a Different Edition

All Change (2013) by Elizabeth Jane Howard  
The publication of the fifth book was delayed, again and again. When it came it was enormous, a doorstop of a thing with the Mantle imprint. I held on to it, waiting until I need something especially comforting to read. Well, the Cazalets go bust and lose their home, so this wasn’t that. I’ll never find a version to match the rest of my Cazalet Chronicles (Washington Square Press), it doesn’t look like they are being re-issued.

The Provincial Lady in America (1934) by E.M. Delafield
I’d like a copy of this to match my other four Provincial Lady books. I have the Heinemann editions. There’s not a Heinemann edition of this one in WorldCat.

Waiting for the Price to Drop:

The Third Wife (2014) by Lisa Jewell
I’ve learned my lesson about paying $20 for a UK paperback, when the price will drop to pence within the year. Insult to injury, it was just 2 GBP for Kindle for weeks, but it’s not available digitally state-side.

Liberty British Colour Pattern: A Voyage of Discovery Through the Archives and Memorabilia of the Last Great Emporium for Innovative British Design (2013)
It’s a recent title, so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to find one for a little less.

Two Rizzoli titles from former Ralph Lauren stylist Mary Randolph Carter:

Never stop to think... do I have a place for this: how to make room for all the stuff that makes your home warm, happy, fun and one-of-a kind (2014)
A paen to collecting, or to clutter.

Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of A Misspent Life: How to live creatively with collections, clutter, work, kids, pets, art, etc... and stop worrying about everything being perfectly in its place. (2010)
How can you not love that title? 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment